We have outlined 10 basic steps to guide parents and children through the matching process:
Parents and child prepare for matching
- focus on developing the parent-child relationship
- discuss the concept of matching and Blessing, expectations and limitations
- study blessing/marriage preparation literature (parents and children together if possible)
- make conditions
- fulfill all the conditions for Blessing and complete the online Blessing application form.
- complete the interview and confession with the national BFD leader
- resolve past issues
- put together a matching plan
How will we find potential candidates?
- Suggestions from parents.
- International Matching Websites: blessing4u.org / www.bfmatch.org
- Suggestions from the candidate, family and friends, matching supporters, BFD leaders, etc.
- Attend Parents Matching Convocation.
3) CONTACTING A FAMILY
When you find a candidate that you are interested in, you can contact the other family by email, by phone, in-person, through a matching supporter or the national BFD leader.
Discuss thoroughly with the other family, make conditions, TAKE YOUR TIME to do this.
4) INTRODUCTION OF CANDIDATES
We suggest timing be carefully considered and that the process not be rushed.
5) INITIAL COMMUNICATION PERIOD
We recommend a period of initial communication, approximately 21 days, to consider whether to enter into a formal matching process.
6) MATCHING PROCESS & DEEPER COMMUNICATION (“Heavenly courtship”)
After communicating thoroughly, the candidates should decide if they wish to become a matched couple. We recommend a time period of 7 months as a guideline.
Submit matching papers. The two candidates can organize a “Commitment (engagement) ceremony” together with their families.
8) PREPARATION FOR BLESSING (internal & external)
Make conditions, prepare Blessing offering, travel etc. while living as brother and sister; developing a deeper understanding of one another and friendship.
9) COSMIC BLESSING
Attend the Blessing Ceremony and receive the Blessing.
10) LIFE AS A BLESSED COUPLE
Investing in your Blessed Marriage and starting your sexual relationship as Husband and Wife. We strongly recommend True Parents’ guidance of having a minimum of 40 days separation period after the Blessing.