There was a time when Reverend Moon himself would match men and women who had, through their commitment to this spiritual path, put their trust in God to work through him as the True Parent; he possessed extraordinary abilities in this area. However, as that method is no longer available to us, Unificationists seeking to find a match within the faith community, as is our tradition, can now avail of this introduction and matching service. It is presented as a seven-month ‘Heavenly Courtship’ under carefully developed guidelines that aim to ensure that those couples matched by this method will have a beautiful and lasting marriage, blessed by God. It is also designed to minimise the risk of hearts being hurt or broken – a tragic but commonly accepted feature of relationships in society around us.
Those seeking a prospective spouse through this system need to fulfil certain qualifications. These are as follows:
Standards for the First Generation Matching
- To have had at least one year of active membership before applying, including reaching out to others to share the message of the Divine Principle and promoting the values embodied in True Parents’ teachings.
- To have kept to a lifestyle of sexual purity for at least one year, ongoing.
- To have completed a course of study in the Divine Principle to Seven-Day level or more.
- To have maintained regular attendance to at least one FFWPU or UPF programme (e.g. Sunday Service, WAIT, IRFF, WFWP etc.)
- To have offered tithing or made a financial contribution on a regular basis.
- To have demonstrated good character and enough maturity to be a responsible spouse with self-discipline and the ability to manage one’s own life (in terms of study, employment and being self-sufficient) as well as being ready to care for and live for the sake of others.
- Participation in a Blessing Preparation Workshop (this can be done after application process has begun).
- Being connected to a community of other Blessed Families.
- Filling out and submitting all the forms (a health check is required, as is a personal recommendation from an advocate).